Buyers Beware: Tom Gorzelanny

Monday, January 7, 2008

The latest feature will be running up until the season starts, and I will give you updates on players that you should stay away from as you prepare for your fantasy draft. Our first player, is Pirates pitcher Tom Gorzelanny. Gorzelanny was a bright spot in the Pirates rotation this season, and I am sure they hope he can repeat. However, although Gorzelanny was 14-10 with a 3.88 ERA in 32 starts, he had career highs in innings pitched and games played in his professional career since 2003. You could tell he was fatigued by the end of the season going 1-3 with a 5.77 ERA, but still pitched in 34.1 innings in six games.

RECOMMENDATION: I would not take him as your one or two starter, save him for the later rounds if still available. He should not be a pitcher you have to rely on a lot in your rotation, and you should not expect him to make thirty starts. A lot of pitchers put up career highs like Gorzelanny did, but Gorzelanny has had injury problems in the past that might come back if he continues to put a lot of stress on his arm, and continues to put up high pitch counts. You now know my recommendation, take it or leave it.

6 comments:

Anonymous 6:15 PM CST  

I thought u were going to do more interviews

Eli 6:45 PM CST  

I am...I am sort of taking it easy because I have final exams. But late next week I will be talking with Cubs' Mark DeRosa and Sam Fuld, Cardinals new pitcher Matt Clement, Mariners new pitcher Carlos Silva, Rockies catcher Yorvit Torrealba, pitcher Kris Benson, ESPN reporter Jayson Stark, and agents Melvin Roman, Barry Axelrod, Scott Shapiro, Gregg Clifton and more!

get ready, it will be a fun couple of weeks.

Unknown 8:10 PM CST  

Who would make this guy their #1 or #2 starting pitcher

First off, he pitches for the lowly pirates, who are lost at see for now and the forseeable future

Second, its not like hes the best pitcher on their team

Just look at Ian Snell, because that guy is a small package of punch, who is definately close to becoming either a # 1-2 starting pitcher. And he also racked up more points than Tom

Third, I can name 50 + pitchers with more going for them in 08 than Tom

Case closed

Groty 8:37 PM CST  

Attention grabbing title. Your analytics and writing are always excellent, however, I wish you would have pretensed the title with FANTASY NEWS. You got me all worked up.

Anonymous 10:08 PM CST  

Could you say beware of A-Rod so if someone reads this they will think he isn't worth drafting in the 1st?

Anonymous 11:09 AM CST  

Who would draft him as their no.1 or 2 pitcher?

By golly, I hope people who would are in my league.