As Players Age, Part Time Seasons Begin

Sunday, April 8, 2007

Jayson Stark, writer for ESPN, suggests that now Roger Clemens has started playing part time, it will start the ripple effect on older players to start doing it. "I just hope it doesn't transcend into more guys wanting to do that," Stark quoted one National League executive as saying. "But I think the groundwork has been laid. What would keep a [John] Smoltz from wanting to do it? What's to keep a [Mike] Mussina from wanting to do it?" Don McKee says if a player like Smoltz or Mussina make 16-18 million a year, playing the last four months of the season would still bring them about 10-12 million dollars. And if Barry Bonds breaks the home run record and wants to continue playing, why not start your season in June and rest up for an extra couple of months. Could this start a new type of clause in contracts?

7 comments:

Anonymous 10:57 AM CDT  

oye

KevinGillman 12:46 PM CDT  

I hope not because quite honestly it's ridiculous that Clemens is doing this, I think the thing that bugs me the most out of this is Clemens is getting $20 million to play three months. Does anyone else have a problem with that?

Eli 12:56 PM CDT  

i cant stand it, i just hope that i am wrong

KevinGillman 5:27 PM CDT  

yeah I know what you mean, owners have to put an end to this. I also think Clemens knows he's coming back, he's just sorting out all of his decisions but in today's market the only three teams who can afford him are either the Yankees, the Astros, and the Red Sox. I have to ask too if he is worth $20 million knowing he is only going to play 3 months of the season.

Rumor Guy 6:32 PM CDT  

he also is waiting to see which team has the best chance to make the playoffs

KevinGillman 9:35 PM CDT  

I know but I can't see him with any other team except for the Astros right now because he can stay home.

Anonymous 1:50 PM CDT  

Yo eli, u da man dogg!