Does Guillen Want Out?

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Ozzie Guillen sat down with reporters today to talk about the White Sox this season and beyond. He was disappointed by the job done last season and said that they should find someone else if he cannot get the job done: "If I'm not the answer, they have the right to do what they want to do." He went on to say, "I'm not a quitter.My point is if they think I'm not doing my job, that's different, but I'm not going to quit on my team. It's like if you're the captain of the plane and all of a sudden you say, 'I can't handle this. I'm going to crash.' And you have people you have to save. I'm not a quitter and I never will be a quitter." Guillen signed a big extension last September, but it is starting to sound like he sees the team is not improving in a division that is getting very competitive and might want to look elsewhere for a job. Kenny Williams was shocked by the comments and said that it will not happen, but we'll see how the season goes.

The problem I see with the White Sox is that they have no starting pitching. They need to go out and make a big commitment to a potential number one starter, perhaps CC Sabathia. Other possibilities include Ben Sheets, Brad Penny, and maybe even Jon Garland. Adding one of those guys would really help the squad, along with giving some of their young guys like Aaron Poreda or Jack Egbert a shot. The bullpen was fixed up pretty good this past offseason by the additions of Octavio Dotel and Scott Linebrink, so what needs to be improved is really pitching. Yes their offense is starting to age, but arrivals of Josh Fields and Alexei Ramirez should help. Also, Nick Swisher and Carlos Quentin make the team a whole lot better. I don't think this team is far from being a good team, but I think Williams needs to stress finding some quality pitching in the next offseasons to come.

7 comments:

KevinGillman 10:17 PM CDT  

I shudder the though of C.C. going to the White Sox, a division rival. Eli, imagine if you will, Carlos Zambrano, before he resigned with the Cubs, going to the Cardinals. It just wouldn't happen.

Eli 10:23 PM CDT  

I agree, but for some of these guys, it is about money. Torii Hunter nearly came to the White Sox. Jeff Suppan went to the Brewers...it can happen, but unlikely. Still I think they should try.

KevinGillman 10:28 PM CDT  

if CC doesn't resign with the Tribe, which is still possible, I see him going out west for two reasons. 1. it's his home and 2. He wants to bat, so I see the Dodgers a very real possibility, if he doesn't sign an extention. Though it's true that any team is possible, but that's where my money would go.

Anonymous 4:55 PM CDT  

The Sox do have starting pitching its not great but they do have some depth with Buehrle and Vazquez. Contreas hasn't been great but he will at least return to his avg. and be decent enough to carry the team. As for Flyod and Danks it could go either way with them. 2ndly Garland is not even close be coming a number 1 and it won't happen he has always showed he will be a number 3 nothing better.

KevinGillman 5:46 PM CDT  

I like Danks, I feel he has the potential of being a solid 2 or 3 starter for the Sox. But probably not this year. 10-12 wins is certainly a good possibility, but I look for him to have a breakout year next season.

Anonymous 3:10 PM CDT  

You're misconstruing what Ozzie Guillen said. He said that if management feels the team is underachieving because of what he's doing as manager, then they should exercise their right to fire him. In no way did he indicate he wants out; to quite the contrary, and he's continued this line throughout the spring, he wants to continue as Sox manager. He'll stay for as long as they want him.
You're right about Sox pitching. It's very thin after Buerhle and Vazquez, and even Vazquez is not a rock-solid guarantee of success. The bullpen is definitely improved over the 2007 scrap the Sox had, but losing Garland without a more significant replacement than Gavin Floyd is going to bite the White Sox in the rear end.
I think the Sox have enough gas in the tank to remain contenders through the All-Star break, but they will have to make probably two significant trades by the deadline if they want to realistically push deep into the September races.

Nascar Nation 9:43 PM CDT  

Ozzie has said since Day One as Manager of the White Sox...."fire me." Why make a big deal out of this?