Botts Wants Out

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Texas Rangers designated Jason Botts for assignment after his fourth unsuccessful stint in the majors. Botts, who was hitting .158 with 2 HR in 38 at-bats, will likely clear waivers. He has great power, but has never been given the opportunity to play everyday. He reminds me a lot of Ben Broussard, currently the Rangers first baseman, who has great power as well. With the Rangers organization in a rebuilding mode, it makes sense that a struggling player would want out: "I think I've been here for a pretty long time and I deserve a fresh start somewhere else," Botts said. "I think there's plenty of examples of people leaving the Texas Rangers and going on to really great things. There could be something huge in my future."

The Rangers will shop him around, but will not release him, according to Rangers GM Jon Daniels.

2 comments:

Unknown 7:10 AM CDT  

I am glad to see him go. The Rangers are in need of players who can at least perform in a mediocre way. Botts will not be a productive player with any team.

Anonymous 9:55 AM CDT  

The Giants should pick up Botts tosee if they can fix his swing. Hey there gonna loose anyway right?