Cubs Talking With Schmidt, Post For Igawa?

Monday, November 27, 2006

According to the Chicago Tribune, the Cubs have had numerous talks with Jason Schmidt's representatives about pitching for them next season. Although Schmidt has suggested he would like to stay on the West Coast, he may change his mind. I think both sides will wait until next week to see what the market is offering. It was also reported that the Cubs were considering bidding for Igawa who's post is expected to top 10 million. The Yankees, Mets, Giants, Padres, and Dodgers have all expressed interest in signing him. The Cubs will probably tell Soriano they do not want him to play in the Winter League, in fear that he will get injured. Can you blame them? If I just gave a guy 136 million for the next eight years I would be extremely over protective.

3 comments:

Anonymous 10:48 PM CST  

any numbers dollar wise for Schmidt??? I'm afraid this signing or Igawa (post and salary) could hurt the chance for Padilla and Meche/Suppan/Marquis combination and leave us 1 SP shy. Miller, Cotts, Marshall, Guzman, O'Malley, Marmol and Prior are question marks to me...I feel it is imperative to have 4 definite starters while relying on only 1 of the above question marks. Schmidt would be a big signing, but Im afraid not right for Wrigley FIeld. He loves the high fastball and us cubs fans know what happens to those on many warm summer days. NOT GOOD. I definitely feel Padilla is the better choice, but who knows...PACMAN (AKA Jim Spendry) may get em both. Thoughts???

Eli 11:05 PM CST  

I would feel more comfotable with padilla too, and he is cheaper. I would love meche and padilla as the the three and four starters and still be able to get a center fielder if need be. however, schmidt has put up impressive numbers at wrigley over the years. who knows, but I would prefer meche and padilla. i do not think we will get igawa

Eli 5:53 PM CST  

3 yr. 44 million