Interview with Brad Tippett

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Last week, I was put into contact with Brad Tippet via email. Tippett is a prospect in the Twins organization from Australia. He is just 19, and dominated this year at Single-A. There is no doubt in my mind that this righty will be with the Twins soon, and I want to thank him for donating his time to the site. I also want to thank Trevor Jarrett at BJS Sports Management for setting this interview up for me.

ELI: Is baseball very popular in Australia?

BRAD: Its not as popular as say, cricket or football, but a fair few people play.

ELI: How did you get into baseball?

BRAD: As I was growing up as a kid, I would always go to dads games. So just being around the game is what got me so involved.

ELI: You were signed last year right? What was that like to finally be able to come to America and play?

BRAD: It was a life long goal and dream of mine. And to achieve that was such a small step into the world of baseball.

ELI: Was it hard to adjust when you came here?

BRAD: I've traveled a few places to play, mostly everyone, no matter the country all have the same views on baseball. It makes it really easy to settle in.

ELI: Left handers struggled against you this year; did you notice anything you did differently to get them out?

BRAD: No not at all. I just tried to do what I could and it all seemed to work out for me.

ELI: What would you say is your best pitch?

BRAD: I don’t know. I like my fastball, just because I have good control of it, but others say my curve. Depends.

ELI: You have been used mostly as a reliever, would you prefer to start?

BRAD: My whole life before a became professional, I was a starter, so my first year or pro ball I had to makes several adjustments in my routine and everyday training to be comfortable.. I’m thinking I will eventually become a starter, we'll see over the next season.

ELI: Did you have a favorite player growing up?

BRAD: No, I can’t say I did.

ELI: What is one thing you would like to work on this off season?

BRAD: Maintaining my arm strength and durability.

ELI: Do you have a favorite sports movie?

BRAD: Remember the Titans.

ELI: You were named Baseball America Rookie All Star, what does that mean to you?

BRAD: To tell you the truth, I didn’t really know until Trevor told me a few weeks ago. I was pretty stoked to be named though. I think its pretty sweet

ELI: Do you keep in touch with most of the Australian Players in the league?

BRAD: Not with everyone. But you form a pretty good bond with most of your Aussie mates in your team or your opposition.

0 comments: