Royals Lock Up Soria

Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Royals and Joakim Soria have agreed to a six year deal through 2014 worth a total 32.75 million dollars. He will make 8.75 million over the next three seasons, but then club options kick in for the final three seasons. So far this season, Soria is 0-0 with a 1.04 ERA and 11 SV. Soria was taken from the Padres organization in 2006, and put together a great 2007 season for the Royals. Dayton Moore has done a great job keeping his young players together, in turn, keeping the players happy: “Oh, I’m very happy,” he said. “It’s a big deal for me, for my career and my family. It’s a lot of security for me and my family.” There are several perks in the deal for Soria, but this is very good deal for the Royals that doesn't make a huge dent in their payroll.

2 comments:

Anonymous 1:18 PM CDT  

A lot of money for an unproven closer. Nice to see the Royals spending some money, if they can get the offense some help, they will be spoilers late in the season.

Anonymous 4:45 PM CDT  

I think he's proven himself pretty damn good for the amount of time and oppurtunity he has been give....this guy us Marino Rivera's clone