Yankees Eye Wells?

Friday, May 9, 2008

David Wells, 44, has been working out near his home in hopes of finding one more job before he calls it a career. The Yankees, who are in need of pitching after both rookie pitchers failed to find success in the MLB, might be looking. "I've thought about it," Steinbrenner told The Post concerning David Wells. "I saw him on TV, and I did think about it when I was watching." The Yankees plan to discuss this internally before they go out and make an offer, but a lot rests with how Kei Igawa and Darrell Rasner do. Wells finished 9-9 with a 5.43 ERA for the Padres and Dodgers last season, and went unsigned over the winter.

According the sources, the Yankees will give it about two weeks before they seriously consider signing Wells. That will give them time to see if Rasner or Igawa can handle a full time job in the MLB. Despite being 245 pounds, Wells feels fine: "I'm in shape, I'd just have to fine-tune a couple of things," Wells said. "I'd need a little bit of time, but not much. Physically I feel fine, real good." Wells would give them even more playoff experience, something they could use as they push their way to the top of the division.

0 comments: