Wednesday, November 7, 2007
Here is a list of teams you should expect to buy, and a list of teams expected to sell:
- Without a doubt. Losing Alex Rodriguez hurts, but what hurts even more is stating all season that they will not negotiate once he opts out. We know the Yankees are dieing to talk money with Rodriguez, but have made no indication that they actually will. Because of it, expect the Yankees to basically unload their farm system again for players Miguel Cabrera and possibly Johan Santana. I expect them to get Cabrera, and then go after a solid pitcher to help the rotation now thatPettitte is gone.
Potential Sellers: Marlins, Twins, Mariners, Rockies, and Orioles.
- The Rangers have some solid players that are drawing interest. And the Rangers, are looking for solid upgrades around the field. They are looking to find a first baseman, while exploring the market for another infielder and center fielder. They have talked with the RedSox about a potential deal for Coco Crisp, but no real progress has been made. They are also looking into the possibility of acquiring RichieSexson from the Mariners in exchange for Vicente Padilla.
Potential Sellers: Red Sox, Mariners, Cubs, Dodgers, Braves, and White Sox.
- They bought Joe Torre and are already a better team because of it. They are very interested in Alex Rodriguez, Andruw Jones, Hiroki Kuroda, and even Johan Santana. Obviously, they will not get them all, but one, maybe two is a definite possibility. They have the money to spend, and will definitely be spending.
Potential Sellers: Twins, Marlins, White Sox, Cubs, Braves, and Rangers.
- The Giants have a lot of wholes to fill now that Barry Bonds has left and are already looking at possibilities such as Alex Rodriguez, Carl Crawford, andDelmon Young. All they will be selling some of their pitchers, I think there best bet is signing Rodriguez, and holding on to some of their pitchers for just a little bit longer.
Potential Sellers: Devil Rays and Phillies.
- They will probably lose both Torii Hunter and Carlos Silva and are exploring all options. They are looking at Rocco Baldelli, Coco, Crisp, and according to MLB Rumors Correspondent Steve Wilson, Felix Pie as well. Not only that, but they are exploring the possibility of trading for Jon Garland, but I doubt that will happen. Despite them trying to trade Johan Santana, more upgrades will come from buying.
Potential Sellers: Devil Rays, Athletics, and Rockies.
- They can probably be considered both, but they are definitely selling right now. They are shopping their whole pitching staff in exchange for some solid prospects while looking for a suitor for JoeCrede. They are very interested in Torii Hunter, but I see them taking the trade route to find better upgrades.
Potential Buyers: Yankees, Rockies, Astros, Mariners, Dodgers, Rangers, and Braves.
The Marlins have two solid players that they have put on the market, and they are already drawing a lot of interest. I do not expect them to tradeDontrelle Willis, but we could see Miguel Cabrera on the move. The list won't be too long because the Marlins asking price is so high, but there will be interest. Other than Cabrera, expect them to shop Anibal Sanchez, who they have had some problems with over the past year.
Potential Buyers: Yankees, Phillies, Red Sox, Dodgers, and Giants.
The Athletics have admitted that their farm system is weak and will probably look to restock this off season. The three players that plan to trade are JoeBlanton, Dan Haren, and Dan Johnson. Blanton and Haren are already drawing interest while Johnson could easily be dumped for some low level players. I expect many teams to be interested in the two pitchers because the market is so weak, so they will probably get a lot in return.
Potential Buyers: Rockies, Mets, Diamondbacks, Cardinals, Phillies, and Reds.
If you have any others, leave me a comment and I will add them.